Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck[_15_] Chuck[_15_] is offline

Default Hot Water Pressure Problems - One Faucet Only

On 2/19/2012 6:24 PM, EXT wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
. 90...
I've got a hot water pressure problem but only at one fixtu the 2
handle non-low flow fixture at my basement utility sink. It's your basic
home-center utility sink fixture, the kind you can attach a garden hose
to.

When I first turn on the hot water faucet I get a lot of pressure but as
the water heats up, the pressure drops significantly, probably by half
within 20 seconds.

I don't experience any pressure drop at any other fixture, not at the
single handle sinks or showers fixtures nor at the two-handle fixture in
a 2nd floor bathroom.

It's only at the utility sink where I experience this problem. BTW it's
nothing new, I don't even recall when it first started...it's been
years. I'm just finally getting around to asking about it.

Any ideas? Could it be that all of the other fixtures are low flow so
that they never allow as much water to flow so that the drop in pressure
is never noticed since they are maxed out at all times anyway?

Thanks.

I have seen hot water faucets that reduce the flow as the water gets
hot. I have always blamed a design flaw that allows the stem to expand
in length with the increase in heat so that the flow slows down as the
stem slowly moves closer to the seat. It also could be the washer
expanding as well, compounding the problem. Newer faucets that don't use
a stem in the water flow don't seem to have the same problems.

Some water heaters have a sensor that adds cold water to the hot water
if it too hot. Mine has that feature. I also experience the hot water
flow slowing down as a few seconds after I turn on the hot water.
I had this situation on my previous faucet and I just put in a new
faucet, different brand, and it does the same thing. This only happens
in the kitchen.