Posted to alt.home.repair
Tomsic[_2_] Tomsic[_2_] is offline

Default OT -- keeping old floppy disks

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Yes, I could copy that all to my (old computer's) hard drive. Burn it
all onto one CD, and pitch the lot of floppies into the burn barrel.

Optical-burn CDs degrade with time. While their life-time is long, it is
not forever.

If you do put vital, historical, data on a CD, you also need a recycling
program wherein the data on the CD is copied afresh to a new one.

Every three years, say, devote a day to refreshing your CD collection.

Commercial CDs don't have this problem in that they are not "burnt," they
are created physically by mechanical pressing.

Some CDs are certainly better than others from the archival standpoint.
Here's the article that's been my guideline on the subject for the past few
years: http://www.rense.com/general52/themythofthe100year.htm Has anybody
looked into the so-called archival "Gold" CDs? The claim for them is a 300
year life.

Tomsic