Bob S.

Default sharpening planer blades

A flat surface, several sheets of sandpaper a chunk of 2x4 (milled to size),
some spray adhesive and you're good to go.

Read about Scary Sharp to understand the concept,
http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM

Then think about making two (opposing) beveled cuts in the 2x4 (nicely
milled flat of course) so the blades can be inserted (press fit) at the
correct angle and so that the bevel of the blades extends above the nicely
milled 2x4 by about 1/16" (not critical) and then Scary Sharp.

Two jigs like this will cover both your jointer and planer blades. Use your
1/8" wide tablesaw blade to make the beveled slots and use some masking tape
(if needed at all) applied to the sides of the blades to make them hold in
the slots.

Only trick to remember is to rotate the jig 180° after about every 10
strokes to insure you're taking material off the blades evenly across it's
length. Unless you have some really bad nicks, you should be able to put a
nice edge on the blades in just a couple of minutes. It will take you
longer to make the jigs than to sharpen the blades. Next time they need
sharpening - you're done in a couple of minutes.

End view of 2x4 jig

tip of blades extend 1/16" above jig surface and beveled
at the angle needed for the blade

________\ \ ____________/ /_________
| \ \ / / |
| \ \ / / |
| \ \ / / |
| \ \ / / |
| 2 beveled slots |
|_______________________________ |

The above should give you an idea. There is also an article in one of the
WW mags (Apr issue I think) that showed how to make a similar jig except
that the center piece between the blades is screwed in place and as it is
tightened it wedges against the blades and holds them in place tightly.

Your jig - you make it to suit your needs. I also have the Makita sharpener
but this worked fine when I didn't have that sharpener.

Bob S.

"Jakes452" wrote in message
I have HSS 12" planer blades and 6" jointer blades (Hitachi). Are these
something I can sharpen myself? I was going to take to local sharpening

but
they are closed on weekends. I have stones and I looked for jigs or
something meant to hold the blade properly and could only find a $250
sharpending motorized wheel w/jig). Any URL reference or opinion is
appreciated.

thank you