Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default OT - Strategies to Max Out Social Security Benefits

On 2/20/2012 9:34 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 08:15:01 -0500, Frank
wrote:

I've been ****ed off lately about the supplemental drug insurance from
my former employer that piggybacks Medicare's with the current $330
deductible. I determined that I can save over $150 a year by skipping
the plan and just going to Walmart.

I'm paying $37 a month (each) for prescription plan. Deductible is $4
for a generic. I lose out, but my wife comes out ahead. The problem
with dropping it for me is what happens later if things change. If
you join a plan later, you pay a penalty in higher premiums. The
actuaries get you one way or the other.

Company pays for my plan (Medco) and cheapest generic is about a dollar
more per 3 month supply than what Walmart charges. Paying deductible,
plan charges $76. Recently went generic Lipitor where plan costs $112 vs
$125 at Walmart. Putting it all together, next year, I'm going outside
plan to Walmart and save about $155 because of the Medicare deductible.

Plan will remain intact. I started doing it a few years ago before
needing Lipitor. I've discovered other retirees doing the same.

My wife uses more stuff than me and it is cheaper through the plan.

What irritates me, is that guy retired from GM with Medco pays only $20
for the same Lipitor that costs me $112.

I tell people the Medco plan must be like buying a car from GM - he got
a Cadillac and I got an Aveo5 - not all GM cars are the same.