Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default OT - Strategies to Max Out Social Security Benefits

bob haller wrote:

Frank wrote:
I was one that paid SS for 40 years. My return would have been double
had I put it into a 401k.

If so, you will be among the few. Even the trustees of SS admit in their
annual reports. Most make less than 2-3% return on their investments,
most minorities (because they tend to die earlier) actually have a
negative ROI.

when the stock market took a dive
can you imagine if peoples SS benefits were suddenly cut by 1/3 rd

fortunately this lan of bush didnt get approved.......

My employer used a special 401 through vanguard. In later years I added 8%
and they added another 12% making a 20% contribution rate per year. I had
control of switching funds, but I could not take any money out until I left
the company.
Before I retired, when the market started downhill, I switched my funds
into safe mode. When the market hit bottom I went ballistic to the max.
Result, I made a lot of money I would not have if the market remained. My
withdrawals now are not a percentage, but fixed to whatever I want.

Greg