Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default OT - Strategies to Max Out Social Security Benefits

On 2/20/2012 8:51 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
wrote in
:

On 2/20/2012 7:40 AM, bob haller wrote:

wrote:
I was one that paid SS for 40 years. My return would have been
double had I put it into a 401k.

If so, you will be among the few. Even the trustees of SS admit in
their annual reports. Most make less than 2-3% return on their
investments, most minorities (because they tend to die earlier)
actually have a negative ROI.

when the stock market took a dive
can you imagine if peoples SS benefits were suddenly cut by 1/3 rd

fortunately this lan of bush didnt get approved.......

I disagree.
My 401k was hardly touched because 85% is in fixed investments.
I did have a coworker that retired, converted his 401k, paid the taxes
and proceeded to lose 90% of the remainder.
The stupid will always be with us, safety net or no.

Converted his 401(k)? Into what?

If he rolled it into an IRA there would have been no taxes due until he
started drawing money out.

Don't know what he did specifically but we retired about the same time
and he commented that he lost 90% of his 401k in converting and managing
it himself. He could have done this himself in the confines of the 401k
but the investments he wanted (risky) were not available there which was
company stock and mutual funds at various risk levels along with the
fixed investment. None of the 401k's investments would have lost this much.

This was also a guy that took homeowner loans so he could invest and was
constantly losing.

He's about 70 today, deathly ill and still working.