Posted to rec.woodworking
godsword godsword is offline

Default Lathe questions

On 2/20/2012 12:30 PM, Casper wrote:
...However, the absolute cheapest way to try out turning, is with a
Hobby Lathe from Grizzly, Model H2669 for only $49 plus a few tools.
It is not much, being that it uses a drill motor for the driving end. But
I can tell you that I used one for quite some time, and did much
turning on model train and cars parts.

Never knew Grizzly made such a lathe. Not a bad price for a drill and
accessories. What's the largest item you've turned on it?

Finally upgraded to a larger wood lathe. But for a really inexpensive
start you cannot go lower price, unless you can find a bargain used one.

`Casper

In answer to your question of what was the largest item that I made with
it, (the drill motor lathe) I offer the following links to pictures.

The first was every round part on the train model which is 3 feet long,
engine, wheels, etc.. Give time for the pictures to come into focus.
http://www.barr-family.com/wood/trains.htm

The next are several models, a John Deer Tractor, every round part. A
Bulldozer round parts, and a 1930 Dusenberg auto, all round parts
including the wheels.
http://www.barr-family.com/wood/models.htm

After those I went to a larger lathe, a Grizzly G0624 10 inch lathe.
These only show what can be done with the simplest of tools. I am not
saying that it is great work, but when there is limited funds, there is
still a way.