Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default 6 ohm speakers - uprate to 8 ohm?

On 20/02/2012 14:44, RobertL wrote:
On Feb 20, 2:21 pm, "Dave Plowman
wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

Well, you could simply put a 2 ohm resistor in series with each one.
Then you'd be sure not to damage the amp. Make sure the resistor can
take the power.

Given a half decent power amp will have a very low output impedance,
adding resistance to this somewhat negates it.

So the frequency response will degrade because the impedance of the
loudspeaker is not constant at all frequencies?

More to the point the loudspeaker cone no longer goes where it is told
to by the applied voltage. Look up damping factor.

This may be so, but I think many people use loudspeaker cables with a
resistance (both wires) higher than 2 ohms.

More fool them then. On a nominally 8R system you don't really want to
have anything more than 0.5R series resistance in the wire and I prefer
something under 0.1R. That way the bass sounds more like the original.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown