Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Finish for red oak on stair treads

On 2/19/2012 2:18 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 2/19/2012 1:04 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Spar finish is soft.. That's it's purpose, it's supposed to be flexible.
Shellac is harder than spar.

On 2/19/2012 12:22 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com writes:
Wow, shellac soft?
I don't think so. It is very hard once fully cured.

It is considered a soft finish when compared to hard film finishes such
as polyurethane or spar varnish.

Shellac is not commonly recommended for high traffic areas for that
reason.

Shellac also doesn't tolerate alcohol spills well (but it does repair
easily).

I'd use a good poly for stairs, or a blo-spar-turps blend.

scott

I used spar on b grade plywood in my darkroom. Indestructible for many
years even with the chemicals. But way to yellow for my red oak.

Spar varnish is more of a marine varnish for out door use. Designed to
not harden but to remain flexible so that a spar does not crack it when
it flexes. Not really a furniture grade varnish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spar