Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Finish for red oak on stair treads

On 2/19/2012 12:41 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 2/19/2012 11:22 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com writes:
Wow, shellac soft?
I don't think so. It is very hard once fully cured.

It is considered a soft finish when compared to hard film finishes such
as polyurethane or spar varnish.

Shellac is not commonly recommended for high traffic areas for that
reason.

Shellac also doesn't tolerate alcohol spills well (but it does repair
easily).

I'd use a good poly for stairs, or a blo-spar-turps blend.

scott

well we don't make a habit of carrying open containers of alcohol up and
down the stairs......

That could be beer or wine.