Posted to rec.woodworking
Gramp's shop Gramp's shop is offline

Default Lathe questions

Thanks, Robert. I ran into the local Woodcraft guy at the Woodworking
show yesterday and am going out to the store later this week. This is
one purchase I'm going to make locally rather than online.

On 2/19/2012 1:56 PM, wrote:
Larry - a couple of the guys in my old turning club bought those
lathes. For utility value, there were really happy. The ways were
ground flat, the tailstock held in place very well, and they were able
to spin up some large pieces of wood with no problems.

Plenty of power, and just big enough to make some nice size projects.

The only downside that was reported back was (at that time... a couple
of years ago) as with all Rikon tools, the fit and finish can be
really inconsistent. If I were going to get one, I would probably put
my money down at the local Woodcraft and ask them to unbox it for me
for my personal inspection.

That way you could see for yourself what level of F/F you are getting
on the exact tool you are buying.

Robert