Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Isolation transformer draws excessive current under no load condition

spamtrap1888 wrote:
On Feb 18, 4:22?pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Cydrome Leader"

I'd say your transformer is bad or somehow connected wrong.

** No way.

The OP's data shows it is operating normally and correctly.

10 degrees temp rise and a PF of 0.15 is A-OK.

.... ?Phil

Why doesn't the transformer data sheet include idle current, power
factor, etc.? Or is it embedded in some transformer standard I have to
spend 2000 swiss francs to get?

The only transformers I've seen specs for idle power consumption listed
(but not on the nameplate) are for distribution transformers the power
company would own. They seem to care about how much money it costs to keep
a transformer running for 30 years or until it finally explodes, so every
watt counts.

For loose reference, I recall some 1kVA oil filled poole mount
distribution tranformers with the real step-lap core idling at 14 watts,
or something close to that. They really make 1kVA units for stuff like
streetlights and running switchgear. At the 10kVA oil filled ones with the
typical step-lap cores, something like 45 watts is normal for some brands.

These monsters aren't really rated the same as smaller EI core potted unit
which are only meant to be cheap to produce in mexico or china or wherever
they come from these days.