Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Isolation transformer draws excessive current under no load condition

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
"Cydrome Lunatic"

I'd say your transformer is bad or somehow connected wrong.

** No way.
The OP's data shows it is operating normally and correctly.
10 degrees temp rise and a PF of 0.15 is A-OK.

That's a pretty horrible transformer if those parameters are A-OK.

** ROTFL -- you are one colossal, know[-]nothing bloody fool.

Phil, do you know the word "empirical"? If not, you should learn it.
Empirical data are knowledge, as assuredly as theoretical considerations.

Last week I measured the no-load drain of a 1.5A isolation transformer. * My
Kill A Watt read 0.06 amperes, which could be anywhere between 0.055 and
0.065 amps. (The display doesn't have enough resolution.) That's 4% of the
rated load. Not bad.

The OP's transformer seems way out of line. It should definitely be placed
off-line. (Ar, ar.)

* I was about to specify 125V, when I realized that, in theory, an isolation
transformer should "work" at any voltage -- short (joke intended) of a
voltage high enough to break down the insulation, etc, etc, etc.