Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Vertical Mill - $300 Craigslist

"Pete C." wrote:

Ignoramus15653 wrote:
?
? On 2012-02-18, Michael A. Terrell ? wrote:
? ?
? ? "Pete C." wrote:
? ??
? ?? It's not a function of "giving up", and it is indeed a function of
? ?? knowing "what can be done". Old CNC controls were good in their day, but
? ?? a modern PC based control is vastly better in performance and function.
? ??
? ?? Old controls had very limited memory that can't keep up with modern CAD
? ?? generated G-code, had user interfaces that are atrocious by today's
? ?? standards, and lack the modern featured for quick at-the-control
? ?? programming of simple jobs. They also usually can't handle a 4th axis,
? ?? rigid tapping, or many other features of modern PC based controls.
? ??
? ?? If the old iron is good, it deserves a new productive life with a better
? ?? control.
? ?
? ? My uses wouldn't need extra memory since it would be used for my
? ? projects, not production.
?
? That's a strange statement.

I agree. It is a statement from someone who has not spent any time with
modern CNC equipment and CAD/CAM systems. My little hobby projects
routinely have G-code over 1,200 lines, some vastly more.

You're right, and I don't want to learn yet another programing
language. Most days my close vison is nearly useless, so that I can't
spend hours staring at a monitor to write software, or design complex
mechanical parts.

Since the machine is over 1000 miles away, it's all rather pointless
for so many of you to keep harping on how I should do things.