Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default what happens to leftover concrete?

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 18 Feb 2012
16:08:36 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Lyndell Thompson wrote:

Ever see those 2' x 2' x 6' stackable concrete blocks for retaining walls
for gravel etc. The concrete companies here (southern Indiana-Kentucky area)
have forms that make those and all trucks come back to the concrete plant
and pour what they have into the mold. They are not perfect due to
different mixes etc. but they are strong and weigh about 4000# in full size.
Sometimes they make a partial block. Also if you live or work near a
concrete plant they may give you the left over concrete. We poured our
parking lot where I work this way, a little at a time. You always have to
have forms prebuilt and adjustable. Sometimes we were all out on service
calls and the office help had to pour it. :-) You will get different grades
of concrete but hey........it's cheap. One other thing, you never know when
they are coming. You never get more than 5 minutes warning. We let many a
lunch get cold to accomplish this.

I blacktopped the parking lot one place I worked with leftover
asphalt. One of our customers owned a fleet of asphalt trucks, and part
of the local plant. Some days they had a full truckloas left in the
machine and needed a place to dump it. We had to go rent a power
roller, but we saved about $5,000 and eliminated the mess from the
existing old dusty slag that was hauled from the steel mill. The
business owner was furious that we spent $75 to pave the lot. ;-)

Now that's a cheap *******. B-)
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the