Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Vertical Mill - $300 Craigslist

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Yet you can't repair it without buying modules from other people.

Before EMC (the original one) or Mach, I bought an Allen-Bradley
7320 control from a guy in California and got it running, with great
difficulty. It didn't come with the executive tape or servo amps,
which were supposed to be part of the package. I had to make my
own servo amps (this was before eBay, too), get an executive tape
from a guy who repaired these, and then patch the executive for the
encoder resolution I had. I built my own BTR also, using an old
laptop for storage of G-code.

I COULD repair it, and had to do so on a regular basis. This was
a 1978-vintage control, and I was trying to use it in 1996-1998.
So, it was roughly 20 years old at the time. EMC came along just
as I was getting seriously frustrated by unreliability of the thing.
There were some problems with the original EMC, and so I went back
and forth a couple of times (I had rigged some connectors so I
could switch between the two pretty quickly.) Well, after the 3rd
swap, EMC was good enough that I never powered the A-B control
on again.

Besides the reliability issue, EMC stored G-code on a computer
with a hard drive, you could edit the G-code on the EMC PC, the
PC was on the local network, You could run primitive diagnostics
on the machine, and the servo response was a lot "snappier".
I'm probably missing a bunch of other features.

A PDP-11 based control is probably a few years newer, but many of
those controls had a VERY limited user interface. Not too bad
for selecting a stock program and running it, but pretty
primitive for editing programs at the machine, for instance.

Oh, and finally, if you look at what the vultures charge for
a board out of a 30 year old control, you could replace the entire
electronics of a modern Pico Systems or Mesa interface from
computer through the servo amps for what one replacement
board would cost.

Jon