Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default discover

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2012-02-18, Michael A. Terrell ? wrote:
?
? "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... Ne-2 lamps ... ]

?? Hmm ... 100 of those, and 100 caps and resistors and a diode and
?? other cap of the right size, and you could have a nice "old computer"
?? front panel simulator. :-)
?
?
? Orget creative with thin plexiglass and make your own 'Nixie' style
? displays y edgeligting the individual layers. ;-)

Hmm ... you know that a commercial product had that. The
Non-Linear System's digital voltmeters used a series of stepper motors
to implement a Kelvi-Varley divider. Four digits, IIRC. Really noisy
with the sound-deadening cover off for test or repair. :-)

Today, you could use a couple rectangular LEDs per segment. You could
even change the color for out of range conditions.

However -- they needed a lot more illlumination than a NE-2
could create. They used the little flanged incandescent lamps of the
327 series. (I forget what the actual number was. 327 was 28V IIRC,
and 328 was 6V. They were common in aircraft indicators and such.)

And in legended indicator switches. I still have a few of both types
as spares.