Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Grill cleaning questions

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 15:04:21 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

I have a Vermont Castings grill that I like a lot. It's time to take it
apart and clean it up.

What's a good way to clean the grates? IIRC, they are porcelain. And the
flame diffusers, which are coated with layers of charred mammal fat? And do
I really go through it all thoroughly, or is there a soak that I can use,
and a power wash/air jet finish up? Some of it just needs a putty knife,
some elbow grease, and TLC. Or should I just power wash and scrape
everything, put it back together, and run it on high for an hour or so to
burn off the excess?

TIA

Steve

My grill had not been cleaned for a number of years. Grabbed several
cans of oven cleaner from the dollar store. Removed the grills,
"diffusers", burners, etc.... Spray them and allowed to set and soak.
Sprayed the inside of the grill -- allowed to soak.

Then used to power washer to clean. A wire brush is also handy (not
sure about the brush on porcelain). My unit is SS with brass burners.

Check all the orifices in the burners to ensure they are clear.