Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Vertical Mill - $300 Craigslist

On 2012-02-18, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

That is your choice, but you can't repair the electronics without
step by step instructions. There are 80 year old pieces of electronics
still in use, and a good tech can keep them working.

It may make sense for other types of devices, but old CNC controls, I
think, are not worth the effort. I am beyond happy with my EMC2 setup.

Good for you, but not everyone gives up that easy. Some take pride
in workmanship and their ability to do 'what can't be done'.

It depends on the old controller. If I have a mill, I want it
to *use* it, not to have it serve as a collector's item. And given the
limitations in the old BOSS-3 through BOSS-6 controllers, the linuxCNC
(was EMC2) does so much more, and does it so much more efficiently, that
the upgrade is hard to resist.

However, I spent quite a bit of time making a gear to repair a
Tektronix 7000 series oscilloscope plugin, just to make it work again.
Check out:

http://www.d-and-d.com/PROJECTS/TEK-Gear/index.html

I think that I posted this here before, and I think that you saw it
before too. FWIW, I've found a place which has replacements for all the
gears in that thing *except* the one which I made. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564