Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Vertical Mill - $300 Craigslist

Ignoramus15653 wrote:

I do not smelt my own iron, either. Ultimately, you have to buy
something.

A 30 cent IC VS how many hundred dollars for a conversion? How much
time spent rewiring it? Lost income from that time spent doing the
conversion?

What I can do now, and the old control could not, is

1) Watch youtube on the control, while milling.

Who gives a **** about You tube? I would be doing other work in the
shop while it was running. That is why the computer in the shop isn't
online. It stores schematics and parts inventory.

2) I have rigid tapping and can tap holes accurately.
3) I have a big and well working 4th axis.
4) I have a servo controlled knee and now have a much bigger work
envelope.

Yawn. I don't need that.

I can write programs in a great G code language with subroutines,
closures etc.

I'd rather be writing code for embedded applications, and have no
desire to go into the junk business. A computer of that age is very
cheap to fix, if it is repairable, and I would likely have the ICs or
other parts in stock so I would save all the time and money of
converting it. Also, there are floppy interface to USB stick units to
allow you to store 100 different programs on a machine, and you don't
need another computer in the shop to run the machine.