Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tony tony is offline

Default Pioneer sx-727 FM problem

On Feb 13, 5:30*pm, Tim Schwartz wrote:
On 2/10/2012 8:15 AM, tony wrote:

Hi,
I have a Pioneersx-727. I'm the original owner over 40 years.
Recently developedfmproblem.
Loud crackling sound onfmstation and then station drifts. No noise
at all between stations.
AM reception also not good, background buzz, humm between
stations on AM only. Unit works perfectly with CD and other inputs.
Any ideas what myproblemmight be? This all started a couple of weeks
ago,
when I noticed that signal strength meter was not illuminated, I
assumed just bulb burned out.
Tuning center meter still works. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Tony,

* * * * Have a look at the soldering on the regulator transistors on the power
supply board, and elsewhere. *While its been a while since I've seen one
of these, I remember soldering on the pass transistors getting really
awful. *Look for overheated, crystallized looking connections. *if you
find some, desolder and re-solder them.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Thanks for the info. I'll look at soldering on the regulators.
The outputs on the power supply board are withing spec but on the low
side.
AWR-011,
the schematic says
pin 2,5,6,7 12.5v, 30v, 30v, 36v
I'm measuring
pin 2,5,6,7 10.5v, 27.5v, 27.5v, 33v

However the collector of Q3 schematic says 36v, I measure ~20v.
I'm not sure if that's a problem. This is on the power supply board
AWR-011.
Thanks.