Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Metal theft. The biters bit

In message 4f3ecae0.21919921@localhost, at 21:49:49 on Fri, 17 Feb
2012, Cynic remarked:
A kitchen is either fit for purpose or it is not. If not, the
landlord has a duty to fix it.

There's a huge gap between "unfit for purpose" and "functional but
depressingly dilapidated". Landlords are also prone to install very
cheap appliances, which are functional, but much less use than the ones
an owner occupier might select.

IME most people over 25 have bought their own appliances and do not
live in accomodation furnished by the landlord.

That depends on their circumstances, and what the landlord has provided.
For example, the dishwasher my landlord has provided is driving me crazy
(so that explains it - ed) but I can't bring myself to put it in storage
and buy a secondhand replacement when I know that in a year's time I'm
moving to a different house that has a very good dishwasher in it
already.

Similarly, the oven is cheaper than I ever knew ovens could be (it works
perfectly to specification, but that spec is minimal). But I don't think
I should be ripping it out of the cabinets and replacing it at my
expense.

The cost need not be all that great so long as you buy second-hand and
are prepared to wait for a bargain.

It's not just the electrical appliances, there are tiles falling off the
wall, doors falling off the cabinets and so on.
--
Roland Perry