Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default bending titanium 5/32" rod - can I use a torch?

.70...
Richard fired this volley in news:
:

Didn't Lockheed figure out they needed to work titanium in an inert gas
atmosphere?

To prevent surface oxidation, sure. In thin sections, sure. But 5/32"
rod won't catch fire unless you heat a section to white heat.

Titanium is hot-formed in air all the time. It has to be cleaned
afterwards, that's all. (abrasively or in molten potassium hydroxide).

It can be welded with TIG in the open, too, so long as you keep a stream
of argon on both front and back sides _and_ from the torch. You have to
keep up the inert gas flow until the temp is somewhat below 800F.

LLoyd

You got me wondering, so I turned a spiral chip about 0.003" thick and put
it in the wood stove. After the oil burned off it needed forced draft and a
bright red-orange heat to start one end burning. The fire went out and the
rest is still grey with hints of iridescent colors.

It cut nicely with the HSS parting bit, easier than stainless.

jsw