Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DougC DougC is offline

Default bending titanium 5/32" rod - can I use a torch?

On 2/17/2012 6:57 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:34:38 -0600,
wrote:

I have a silly project that I need a few kinds of bent-wire pieces

I don't know why you can't weld it. Do you have a tig? I just welded
some 6AL4V and it was easy. Build up a little enclosure out of
aluminum foil, set the pats in it, flood with argon for 5 seconds or
so before striking an arc, and set post flow for about 15 seconds. No
color change means no oxygen or nitrogen absorbtion.
Eric

All I got is the acetylene torch, no TIG.

In fairness it may indeed be possible to weld titanium with /some/ kind
of fuel gas and a torch, but as far as I've heard TIG is the only
practical method.

I just needed to bend it though.