Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default bending titanium 5/32" rod - can I use a torch?

fired this volley in news:4CA%q.1145
:
Can I heat it with an oxy-acetylene torch to do this easier? I know I
can't weld it, and I don't need to join it anyway--I just need to bend
the wire into round shapes with curves1-inch diameter.

I've not ever played with titanium before.... does it turn a different
color when it gets near melting point? If the surface of the wire
oxidizes and turns funny colors is okay, I just don't want it to go
totally-soft permanently.

I'd be willing to try it with a carburizing flame. Make _absolutely_
sure the flame is on the fuel-rich side, because oxygen is your enemy
with titanium. Err on the side of too rich; titanium melts at about
3500F, and even a rich O/A flame will exceed 4500F.

But be careful. I'm a pyrotechnician by trade. Titanium is the stuff we
use to make "silver" sparks. It will burn well in open air, and is a
bitch to put out. It throws sparks several feet as it burns.

Hot forming of titanium can be done between 900F and 1450F. I'd suspect
hotter is better with hand-forming. 1450 approaches a full cherry red.

It will oxidize heavily upon exposure to air, but the oxide can be
removed abrasively. At lower temperatures, the oxides can be quite
beautiful with a whole array of peacock colors displayed.

LLoyd

Didn't Lockheed figure out they needed to work titanium in an inert gas
atmosphere?