Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Red threadlocker - stronger than torque specs?

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:52:51 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

dpb wrote:
On 2/17/2012 8:11 AM, Ignoramus23204 wrote:
I personally do not see any need for any threadlocker, as there is no
vibration or twisting forces that would cause the nut to unscrew.

As I read it, he wants to use it to actually raise/lower the column,
not lock the column in place.

As another said, for that needs either double-nut or to pin
it--threadlock is a "maybe will, maybe won't" depending on how much
load is actually put on it in application which is probably not known
a priori very closely at all.

Yes, thanks, I didn't do a very good job of explaining the purpose of the
nut.

The actual nut used in raising and lowering the threaded rod is not visible
in the image. The nut that is visible is welded to the threaded rod, and is
only used to give you something to put your wrench on to turn the threaded
rod.

Jon

I don't know how well Loctite sticks to zinc but when used properly on
steel or stainless steel it grips so well that sometimes the threads
willn be torn off before the Loctite fails. I have experienced this. I
have contacted the makers of Loctite more than once to ask about
specific situations and they were always able to give me an answer
about whether what I wanted to do was possible and what compound to
use.
Eric