Posted to uk.d-i-y
thirty-six thirty-six is offline

Default 6 ohm speakers - uprate to 8 ohm?

On Feb 17, 6:09*pm, Clive George wrote:
On 17/02/2012 17:36, David WE Roberts wrote:

6ohm speaker were common on Japanese midi systems at the time - I have
a set of old 6ohm Aiwa boxes which work happily on a nominal 8ohm amp.
The impedence is only nominal anyway - speaker impedance varies with
frequency - just dont bang 60W through them. If you're using them as
surround speakers, just wire them up and try them but you'll likely
find they're a bit on the loud side. You could try strangling them a
bit with a series 4ohm resistor, but it might affect response -
perhaps not a problem in surround use.

Thanks - that suggests to me that if I am wiring up a 4 speaker system
then the ones furthest from the listening area and with the longest
speaker cable runs should be the surround ones :-)
Or alternatively the closest one so you hear the sound 'in front' and
don't actively notice the fill in from the back.
Or not.
Err.....
Well, suck it and see time :-))

Don't surround systems have volume controls for the other sets of
speakers? (obviously just an offset, the main control still needs to
control all)

Psuedo surround systems (mixed rear channels) can be had cheaply, a
balance pot would double the cost of the surround componentry. Stop
being silly and stuff a moth-eaten pullover in the talking-box.