Posted to sci.electronics.repair
root root is offline

Default Help! I've burned up 3 SATA drives today

Chris K wrote:
On 15/02/2012 21:49, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el ,
escribió:

I intend to pursue an explanation of what happened. If I find
out I will post here.

Thanks. Would be very interesting to know what it was.

I've done the same thing with a Molex/SATA converter. To my shame, I
put the Molex connector in upside down which lets the smoke out of a
SATA drive quite effectively.

Cheapo Molex connectors are not foolproof in their keying. Might be
useful if you see if you could have fitted yours upside down (with the
power off :-) )

Chris K

I just tried the test using one of the molex-sata cables and
one of the same power supplies I used. I couldn't get the
two together upside down. Moreover, I almost always have trouble
lining up make and female parts in a molex connector. The damned
pins wiggle independently, so I have to look carefully.