Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] grimly4@gmail.com is offline

Default 6 ohm speakers - uprate to 8 ohm?

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:09:52 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

However, just realised that the speakers are 6 ohm, and the connectors on
the back of the amp say Speakers (6-16ohm) and Surround Speakers (8-16 ohm).
Grr....gnarghh....there goes my plan to use the spare set of speakers for
surround speakers.

So is running 6 ohm speakers on an 8-16 ohm speaker circuit likely to blow
the speakers or the amplifier?
Is there an easy way to uprate the speakers to 8 ohm?

Otherwise I'll probably have to chuck them.
Apart from anything else I think that 6 ohm speakers are fairly rare, and
that most speakers come in at 8 ohm.

6ohm speaker were common on Japanese midi systems at the time - I have
a set of old 6ohm Aiwa boxes which work happily on a nominal 8ohm amp.
The impedence is only nominal anyway - speaker impedance varies with
frequency - just dont bang 60W through them. If you're using them as
surround speakers, just wire them up and try them but you'll likely
find they're a bit on the loud side. You could try strangling them a
bit with a series 4ohm resistor, but it might affect response -
perhaps not a problem in surround use.