Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default 6 ohm speakers - uprate to 8 ohm?

Still fettling my Akai stero system.
Base unit with tape is now working after new fuse inserted.
CD transport naffed - checked by trying on other system.
So I have decided to chuck the second partly broken stereo stack and keep
the speakers.
However, just realised that the speakers are 6 ohm, and the connectors on
the back of the amp say Speakers (6-16ohm) and Surround Speakers (8-16 ohm).
Grr....gnarghh....there goes my plan to use the spare set of speakers for
surround speakers.

So is running 6 ohm speakers on an 8-16 ohm speaker circuit likely to blow
the speakers or the amplifier?
Is there an easy way to uprate the speakers to 8 ohm?

Otherwise I'll probably have to chuck them.
Apart from anything else I think that 6 ohm speakers are fairly rare, and
that most speakers come in at 8 ohm.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]