Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DHS arrests 1000s of hair dryers at border

On 2/17/2012 7:45 AM, J Burns wrote:
On 2/17/12 7:36 AM, HeyBub wrote:
J Burns wrote:

I'm glad the government stepped in.

Explain why you're glad the government stepped in. And no, it is not
self-evident.

I'm sure I explained in my post. You must have overlooked it.

Many houses do not have GFI
outlets. Some could not have them added without rewiring. A person
could get a hair dryer wet while plugged in somewhere besides the
bathroom.

As he could with an electric drill, vacuum cleaner, weed-whacker, TV set,
trouble light, computer, clock, microwave, lamp, or thousands of other
electrical implements.

They aren't often left on bathtubs where children bathe. Hundreds have
been electrocuted. Wherever a hair dryer is used, it will probably
contact a wet head. The NEC and the UL have required GFI in hair dryers
more than 20 years.

When I left college I went to work for an electrical supplier and we
would hear all the electrocution stories from around the area. Some
idiot was using a power saw in his backyard while standing in a puddle
of water. He had it plugged into the ground fault receptacle for the
outdoor power and the safety tripped whenever he pulled the trigger on
his saw. Well, the Darwin Award contestant opened his bedroom window,
dropped an extension cord out the window, plugged in his saw, pulled the
trigger once and was killed on the spot. He won The Darwin Award!

TDD