Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default DHS arrests 1000s of hair dryers at border

On 2/17/12 7:36 AM, HeyBub wrote:
J Burns wrote:

I'm glad the government stepped in.

Explain why you're glad the government stepped in. And no, it is not
self-evident.

I'm sure I explained in my post. You must have overlooked it.

Many houses do not have GFI
outlets. Some could not have them added without rewiring. A person
could get a hair dryer wet while plugged in somewhere besides the
bathroom.

As he could with an electric drill, vacuum cleaner, weed-whacker, TV set,
trouble light, computer, clock, microwave, lamp, or thousands of other
electrical implements.

They aren't often left on bathtubs where children bathe. Hundreds have
been electrocuted. Wherever a hair dryer is used, it will probably
contact a wet head. The NEC and the UL have required GFI in hair dryers
more than 20 years.