Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Red threadlocker - stronger than torque specs?

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 23:04:00 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

I'm thinking about using the red threadlocker (the "permanent" type) on a
fastener to avoid flashing off the zinc coating through welding.

An example of the application can be seen in this image:
http://i.imgur.com/YHH7P.jpg

In that image, the nut at the top is welded to the threaded rod, and its
purpose is to rotate the threaded up and down to extend/retract the threaded
rod against a heavy load (generally, a house structure).

The thread size in my application will be 1.25" x 7 TPI.

Do you think that the red threadlock will hold the nut to the threaded rod
when the threaded rod has significant weight bearing down on it?

Why take a chance? Run another nut on that puppy and lock it to the
base when you've attained solidity. I hope there's a good grease in
that upper pivot point.

P.S: Where are your vapor barrier and borate pesticide treatments?
And seal up that cracked foundation, will ya?

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from folly
is to fill the world with fools.