Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Vertical Mill - $300 Craigslist

On 2012-02-17, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane wrote:
If you look carefully at the one photo, I think the badge on the
machine head says Index. It's in Reading, PA. They're selling it at
about the scrap price.

http://reading.craigslist.org/tls/2855148590.html

Hmm ... a nice machine -- certainly for that price.

The "Level 11 Programming Manual", in combination with the 1979
original purchase date suggests that it is run from a LSI-11 CPU. Not
sure whether those are steppers or servos on it -- the images are not
that good. :-)

If I had room, I would be very tempted.

If it was closer, I'd take it, but I'm about 1000 miles away.. I
have a stash of memeory borads, and possibly some other PDP-11 boards in
storage.

If I bought it, I would junk the old control even if it was not yet
broken.

First, electronics that is that old would not be reliable. Second,
this is a very old and obsolete control, compared to the PC based
controls (Mach3 and especially EMC2).

That is an early bandit controller.

If I recall correctly it was made by Summit at about that time and the line
traded hands maybe several times then eventually went into the hands of
Allen Bradley from which it eventually evolved into the T8xx series.