Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Rusty Tool Stand

On Feb 16, 12:35*pm, "Robert Green"
wrote:
"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Are there any established techniques for dealing with something that is
realistically too big to handle with normal techniques? *I know I could

say
that it's in a dry environment now and probably will outlast me with doing
nothing, but I'd still like to get it reasonably cleaned up.

Take all the loose stuff off with a wire brush and then use Rustoleum which
will bond with any remaining oxidation and inhibit further rust. *This isn't
a planter in the living room, it's a tool. *(-: *Once you have a coat or two
of good rust-inhibiting paint on it, no one but you will notice.

Rustoleum uses fish oil to work its magic: *In 1921, sea captain Robert
Fergusson noticed that raw fish oil spilled on rusty metal decks stopped
corrosion from spreading. *The rest is, as they say, history.

--
Bobby G.

The fish oil is Rustoleum can also be a bit of a problem...

When I was heavy into the Soap Box Derby world, we'd often race our
cars "in primer" while we were still fiddling with the bodies, The
final fancy paint job was saved until we were sure that we were done
with all bondo, fiberglass, etc. We'd often throw a quick coat of
primer on before a weekend race so that our competitors couldn't tell
what we'd done - no sense giving away our design secrets.

Anyway, a friend of mine grabbed a few cans of Rustoleum primer and
blasted a coat over a large portion of the car. A few weeks later he
took it to a auto paint shop to have it painted and the guy said he
couldn't get the paint to stick. He'd spray it on and it just woudn't
dry properly. He asked my friend what type of primer he had used.

When my friend told him that he had used Rustoleum primer, the guy
said that it would take some major work to get any other paint to
adhere because of the fish oil in the Rustoleum. My friend was in a
time crunch, so he went and bought a couple of cases of Rustoleum
paint and spray painted the car. He did such a fine job that people
were amazed when he told them that he painted it in his garage with
spray paint.