Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleaning up an old table saw

HeyBub wrote:

In other words, "theory" is as close to facts as one can currently
get. You can take it to the bank. You can start a religion based on
it. You can let your sister marry it.

In science, the word "theory" does NOT mean a guess, speculation, or
even mere possibility.

That's my theory.

Good write up HeyBub - thanks for investing that time. So... I'll ask a
question of what you described in your post. If a theory is as close to a
fact as one can currently get, how does that notion resolve with the issue
of conflicting theories? Isn't Big Bang a theory? Yet, if I understand
correctly, there is at least more than one competing theory. If both (or
all...) are legitimate theories, then the statement that a theoryis as close
to fact as one can currently get, does not make sense.

If I could give other currently popular competing theories (rather than the
Big Bang), I'd do so, but I really don't spend much of my life in this area.

--

-Mike-