Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default SCSI bus termination

On 16/02/2012 15:53, David WE Roberts wrote:
Note X-Post to uk.d-i-y

I am trying to connect an old SCSI scanner bought on eBay to a Windows
PC for a friend.

She has bought and installed an Adaptec SCSI card and this seems to be
recognised by the PC.
However although the scanner powers up it is not recognised as a SCSI
device.
I suspect bus termination issues.

What sort of SCSI for starters? i.e. what connectors are on the scanner
- the older centronics style 50 way connectors, or the high density SCSI
II style, or the (spit) cheap'n'crappy 25 way D connector?

What make and model of scanner, and which Adaptec card?

Now I have played with SCSI devices in the past but this has always been
at work, where you open a big drawer or cupboard and a load of different
cables and terminators fall out and you try a few until it works.
There is also usually at least one other SCSI device floating around for
you to test with.

I havve a few cables to work with, and something (double ended) labelled
as a passive terminator (but not like the terminators I am used to which
are usually a single ended plug).
Now SCSI bits aren't that cheap, so I don't fancy buying a selection of
terminators.
Is there any simple DIY way to check out if the bus is O.K. and the
terminator is O.K. such as measuring voltages?

Check to see if the device has the option of internal termination.
Usually a switch (may be a DIP switch) to change. Sometimes on old kit a
SIL resistor pack or two to insert/remove.

--
Cheers,

John.