Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default SCSI bus termination

Note X-Post to uk.d-i-y

I am trying to connect an old SCSI scanner bought on eBay to a Windows PC
for a friend.

She has bought and installed an Adaptec SCSI card and this seems to be
recognised by the PC.
However although the scanner powers up it is not recognised as a SCSI
device.
I suspect bus termination issues.

Now I have played with SCSI devices in the past but this has always been at
work, where you open a big drawer or cupboard and a load of different cables
and terminators fall out and you try a few until it works.
There is also usually at least one other SCSI device floating around for you
to test with.

I havve a few cables to work with, and something (double ended) labelled as
a passive terminator (but not like the terminators I am used to which are
usually a single ended plug).
Now SCSI bits aren't that cheap, so I don't fancy buying a selection of
terminators.
Is there any simple DIY way to check out if the bus is O.K. and the
terminator is O.K. such as measuring voltages?

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder