Posted to rec.woodworking
Kerry Montgomery Kerry Montgomery is offline

Default Cleaning up an old table saw

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Kerry Montgomery wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:40:18 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:

Since when did the word theory become virtually a fact? Unless
you have a new defintion of terms, the word theory has never been
accpeted as any kind of a fact.

Well ....

the reference Swingman gave defines theory as:

"A scientifically accepted general principle supported by a
substantial body of evidence offered to provide an explanation of
observed facts and as a basis for future discussion or
investigation." I'd say that places it a lot closer to a fact than to
an opinion or
belief. Those are often not supported by much of anything :-).

I'll certainly relinquish the use of the word "belief" (perhaps a
poorly chosen word earlier...), but even Swing's text above does not
make a theory virtually a fact - regardless of how close it may
appear to be. --

-Mike-

Mike,
I agree with you that Swingman's text above does not make a theory
virtually a fact. A theory is not virtually a fact, it is as Swingman
stated.

Correct - review the thread above for context.

--

-Mike-

Mike,
Sorry, I had misattributed that bit.