Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rusty Tool Stand

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:43:54 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Feb 15, 4:29Â*pm, (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:
I'm used to Naval Jelly and wire brushes / drill attachments for small rust
issues, but how does one deal with bigger areas?

I've never owned a bench grinder, and recently got an older used unit complete
with pedestal stand. Â*The motor runs smoothly and I'm pleased at having spent
a whopping forty bucks for a tool that will be of some use to me.

But the pedestal base is quite rusty, with the underside of the base
especially bad. Â*I'd say this would be described as severely rusty.

Are there any established techniques for dealing with something that is
realistically too big to handle with normal techniques? Â*I know I could say
that it's in a dry environment now and probably will outlast me with doing
nothing, but I'd still like to get it reasonably cleaned up.

Art

Use this...

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...der-91223.html

with this...

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece...kit-90976.html

$30 and a new tool.

(or spend more if you want a quality angle grinder.)

Or get it sand blasted.