Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Cleaning up an old table saw

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

HeyBub wrote:

Your post shows a distinct misunderstanding of scientific
terminology.

In science, the word "theory" is NOT speculation, guesswork, or
probability. A scientific theory is virtually a fact, as in "The
Theory of Universal Gravitation," or "The Theory of Electricity," or
the "Theory of Conservation of Energy."

I do not work in the field of science but as I understand things, your
statement above is pure bull****. A theory is an unproven idea in the
world of science. I even googled it, so I know it's right, because
it's on the internet!

Since when did the word theory become virtually a fact? Unless you
have a new defintion of terms, the word theory has never been accpeted
as any kind of a fact.

After about a hundred years of reliance on a named "theory" without
any contradiction or paradox, a theory might be elevated to a "Law",

Only if you want to assume things without the underlying understanding
of whether that assumption is correct, or if it can be affected by
other factors not yet considered.

as in "The Newtonian Laws of Motion," or the "Law of Butter-Side
Down." In fact, "Theory" and "Law" are often interchangable.

Oh please... are you really a scientist?

Well, in my book, you can brainstorm an idea, formulate a(n) hypothesis,
perform experiments trying to prove the hypothesis, and if supported
formulate a theory. Then once totally vetted, tested, and pulled through
the wringer, if nothing untowards appears, it becomes "law". Even then
you need to be careful, as shown by the recent instance of (not so)
random number generation in the RSA algorithm involved in money
transactions via the internet.

--
Best regards
Han