Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Cleaning up an old table saw

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Han wrote:

Not that far-fetched. There is a theory (ahum) that says that if the
Arctic gets too ice-free (which may happen with global warming,
increases in ocean levels, and changes to ocean circulation, it (the
Arctic Ocean) will evaporate so much that it will snow and asnow and
snow and another ice-age will result. As I said, a theory ...

Your post shows a distinct misunderstanding of scientific terminology.

In science, the word "theory" is NOT speculation, guesswork, or
probability. A scientific theory is virtually a fact, as in "The
Theory of Universal Gravitation," or "The Theory of Electricity," or
the "Theory of Conservation of Energy."

After about a hundred years of reliance on a named "theory" without
any contradiction or paradox, a theory might be elevated to a "Law",
as in "The Newtonian Laws of Motion," or the "Law of Butter-Side
Down." In fact, "Theory" and "Law" are often interchangable.

OK, ok, I used theory where I should have used hypothesis.
I apologize.

--
Best regards
Han