Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How much should a lathe rebuild cost, approximately

Ignoramus10095 wrote:

Karl, as you know, I trust and respect you, but I wonder why a rebuild
should involve 200 hours, if good equipment is available. I thought that
it is abous indicating and grinding the bed and cross slide, building
up with epoxy, and reassembling everything. I can see how it could
take a long time in the absence of a proper grinder etc. But would it
be time consuming to do myself. I personally would never undertake
such a project personally.

Well, I have done this the HARD way, without a grinding machine. So, that
part took WAY longer than it ought to, but I didn't want to assault my
back yard with any more heavy vehicles mired to the axles. The Moglice
job on the carriage should have been simple, but I tried to get by without
machining the carriage. There was too little wear there, so it ended
up too high, and I had to scrape the Moglice down quite a bit to get
the important stuff to line up. But, if I had had the bed ground on
proper equipment, it would not have been that big a job.

Oh, one trick I came up with to get it close was to rig the compound slide
to an angle bracket and put it on the bottom half of the tailstock.
I then mounted a toolpost grinder to the compound, and towed this rig
down the bed with a gearmotor and a cable. This did a really good job of
cleaning up the main bed ways, and I very likely could have just used the
lathe after this.

Jon