Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low hot water output

On Feb 14, 11:12*pm, "Doug" wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 16:36:59 -0800 (PST), Andy

wrote:
On Feb 14, 5:24*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
That's what I thought. I only had about two feet. But, the dip tube came in
at angle, and amazed me. "Coming in for landing....."

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

Most installations don't have enough overhead to replace the dip tube
without uninstalling the tank. *I'd just replace the whole thing. *The
others are right, you mess aorund with it and it's going to leak
within 2 months.

I decided that when the hot water output becomes unacceptable, I will
replace it.

It has a 5 year warranty, so at 17 yrs. old, I got my money's worth.

:-)

It will be fun when I take it apart to see how it works.
There might something salvageable.

Should be safer than an analog TV where I cut a wire using some work
gloves.
I thought that it would be O.K. being unplugged for 5 years. :-)

Andy

Next logical question is what brand to install. *My advice since it
happened once to me, make sure you get one with a "metal" faucet not
plastic. *I once had a 10 year old water heater and suddenly the
plastic faucet just cracked and the water was going everywhere it
wanted and not in the pan unfortunately. *If it matters I got twin
"State" gas water heaters recommended by my plumber but I recall
hearing other local *plumbers recommended another brand around my way.
I think I read that different parts of the country also have different
recommended brands for that locality. * Probably someone around here
will know more about this than myself. *I am tho going by my recent
experience with my hot water heater replacements. *Also my house
originally had twin 50 gals and like some others said here, my plumber
told me I was really only using perhaps 40 outa 50 gals due to the
sludge buildup and for economy recommended I replace my twin 50's with
twin 40's instead. *I have and so far, can't notice the difference in
amount of hot water. *I think my gas bill is a little cheaper but I'm
not 100% sure but it would seem so based on new gas hot water heaters
vs. 13 year old ones.- Hide quoted text -

I have a State that I bought from HD. It was just your
average conventional one. I did the math and it did
not seem worth it in terms of payback to go with one
of the more expensive ones with longer warranty,
higher efficiency, etc. It's been in about 12 years now
I think and it's still fine.

About 5 years ago the thermocouple failed. I called
up state, they looked up the warranty and said it was
still covered. Two days later I had a new one on my
doorstep, no charge, no need to return the old one.

So, I'm very happy with State.