Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleaning up an old table saw

HeyBub wrote:

Your post shows a distinct misunderstanding of scientific terminology.

In science, the word "theory" is NOT speculation, guesswork, or
probability. A scientific theory is virtually a fact, as in "The
Theory of Universal Gravitation," or "The Theory of Electricity," or
the "Theory of Conservation of Energy."

I do not work in the field of science but as I understand things, your
statement above is pure bull****. A theory is an unproven idea in the world
of science. I even googled it, so I know it's right, because it's on the
internet!

Since when did the word theory become virtually a fact? Unless you have a
new defintion of terms, the word theory has never been accpeted as any kind
of a fact.

After about a hundred years of reliance on a named "theory" without
any contradiction or paradox, a theory might be elevated to a "Law",

Only if you want to assume things without the underlying understanding of
whether that assumption is correct, or if it can be affected by other
factors not yet considered.

as in "The Newtonian Laws of Motion," or the "Law of Butter-Side
Down." In fact, "Theory" and "Law" are often interchangable.

Oh please... are you really a scientist?

--

-Mike-