Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Cleaning up an old table saw

On 2/14/2012 12:48 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Easy ... unlike "climate change", the various "States of Matter"
(which were indeed under discussion in this very newsgroup, by
woodworkers, woodworkers with science degrees, among other things,

are well understood and pretty universally
"accepted science" for the past few hundred years... at least, so far.

Science is by no means understood universally. If it were, there would not
be contradictory theories within the real of scientific study. The
scientific community is in no way in complete accord. Methinks we throw
this word "scientific" around way too loosely. We tend to use it in attempt
to defend our own position with no regard to how much discord there is
within the true world of scientific discourse.

And "methinks" you paint with too broad a brush, and perhaps miss some
important distinctions in scientific methods and terminology. While
there is always someone around who will *hypothesize* that the world is
flat, there is ample *empirical evidence*, and very little "scientific
discourse" and "discord", that this is NOT the case.

As I alluded to previously, many of the various *theories* and *laws* on
states of matter with regard to liquids, gases and solids (and more
specifically "condensation", "sublimation", etc - as discussed in this
thread), have the benefit of centuries of *empirical evidence*, and upon
whose shoulders entire branches of science are founded, specifically do
not fit into your above supposition of being in the realm of "much
discord" in "scientific discourse".

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010