Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default How much should a lathe rebuild cost, approximately

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 08:10:55 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
.. .

I have a friend that has a 10 ft stroke surface grinder and fresh paint
don't make them cut any more accurately.

if you're selling it, paint is the most cost effective thing you can
do.

Yes you'll probably fetch at least a slightly higher price, perhaps
especially so if the buyer happens to be someone who is rarely if ever going
to actually operate it.

Otherwise, you've just added another overpriced used machine tool to the
market.

Especially a "taken apart" paint job. many folks know to shy away
from a quickie over the top painting.

--I'm in the business of USING not SELLING...as such I'd rather the original
paint simply be left intact

I see some prices around the Web. To regrind a Monarch 10EE, $3,500.
To scrape-in the headstock, saddle, and tailstock was another $4,000.
That was *by* Monarch. I also saw some figures for a SB 10K. Around
$1,000 to re-grind the bed and scrape the saddle to the bed. That was
from South Bend itself. Plus transportation.

One assumes These are high-quality, new-machine-like jobs. That was
around 10 years ago.

--
Ed Huntress