Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Chevy Kodiak dumptruck gasoline problems

On 2012-02-15, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 17:10:19 -0600, Ignoramus10095
wrote:

I have a Chevy Kodiak dump truck that I am trying to fix.

Pictures of the truck and carburetor are he

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Chevy-Kodiak/

Supposedly, and I believe the person who told me the story because I
know him very well, a pump gasoline inside the gas tank went bad on
it. A while ago, tank was disconnected and we put it back when we got
the truck.

Truck sat outside for 2 years without any further work.

We bought a new pump from NAPA.

The truck cranks, but would not start without fuel added to carb.

If I remove the nut holding the line near the carb, then gas pours out
of it when the pump in the gas tank is activated. So, gas gets to the
carburetor.

If I pour gasoline in the carburetor, the engine starts great. It
also runs great when the engine runs and I continuously add a small
stream of gas to the carb.

However, without that stream, it does not get any gas.

There are two electric valves in the carb. If my guy cranks the motor
and presses the gas pedal, I see some drops of gasoline, but not
nearly enough for this Chevy 454 engine.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Carb cleanout and rebuild necessary?

thanks

. Except it is not a carb. You have a TBI engine - throttle body
injected. What year is the puppy? If it is pre-1996 a good code
scanner can tell you everything you need to know, if you know what you
need to know - if you know what I mean.

The two "solenoids" are fuel injectors - and the other part - the
metal hat with the adjuster screw in it is the fuel pressure
regulator. See if the connection to one injector has 12 volts on one
side any time the key is on and it a 12 volt lamp (test light, noid
light, or 194 side marker lamp in socket) connected across the
connector flashes when the engine is turned over. If you have 12 volts
and the light flashes the injectors or regulator are likely the
problem. If not, you have electrical problems. Ther will be a "shrader
valve" somewhere on the fuel line. You need to verify your fuel
pressure. It should be roughly 10-12 PSI if my memory serves
correctly.

If it is pre 1996 you can get the trouble codes off the check engine
light by shorting terminal A to B on the aldl connector. That's the
two end terminals of the top row on the right side.

You should get a code 12 - flash - - flash flash.

Look for a code 33 or 34 (map sensor), 54 (fuel pump circuit) 55 (bad
ECM) 21 or 22 (throttle position switch), or 14 or 15 (intake air temp
sensor) Any other codes should not prevent it from starting. Also be
sure you ARE getting spark. No spark usually means no trigger for the
injectors as well.

A somple injector function test is a stethoscope - you should hear
them go "tick-tick" when the engine is cranked.

Do you think that I should try to clean them in an ultrasonic cleaner?

If so, what liquid should I use for cleaning?

Also, if I need to clean them with ultrasound, should I submerge them
completely?

Page 4-23 of the docs I scanned say that the fuel injectors should not
be submerged in any type of liquid solvent or cleaner.