Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_14_] Doug[_14_] is offline

Default Low hot water output

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 16:36:59 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

On Feb 14, 5:24*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
That's what I thought. I only had about two feet. But, the dip tube came in
at angle, and amazed me. "Coming in for landing....."

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

Most installations don't have enough overhead to replace the dip tube
without uninstalling the tank. *I'd just replace the whole thing. *The
others are right, you mess aorund with it and it's going to leak
within 2 months.

I decided that when the hot water output becomes unacceptable, I will
replace it.

It has a 5 year warranty, so at 17 yrs. old, I got my money's worth.

:-)

It will be fun when I take it apart to see how it works.
There might something salvageable.

Should be safer than an analog TV where I cut a wire using some work
gloves.
I thought that it would be O.K. being unplugged for 5 years. :-)

Andy

Next logical question is what brand to install. My advice since it
happened once to me, make sure you get one with a "metal" faucet not
plastic. I once had a 10 year old water heater and suddenly the
plastic faucet just cracked and the water was going everywhere it
wanted and not in the pan unfortunately. If it matters I got twin
"State" gas water heaters recommended by my plumber but I recall
hearing other local plumbers recommended another brand around my way.
I think I read that different parts of the country also have different
recommended brands for that locality. Probably someone around here
will know more about this than myself. I am tho going by my recent
experience with my hot water heater replacements. Also my house
originally had twin 50 gals and like some others said here, my plumber
told me I was really only using perhaps 40 outa 50 gals due to the
sludge buildup and for economy recommended I replace my twin 50's with
twin 40's instead. I have and so far, can't notice the difference in
amount of hot water. I think my gas bill is a little cheaper but I'm
not 100% sure but it would seem so based on new gas hot water heaters
vs. 13 year old ones.