Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleaning up an old table saw

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 06:50:25 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/13/2012 7:50 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/13/2012 7:12 AM, Han wrote:
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

That cool air hitting the warm iron results in almost instant
condensation on the iron.

Generally, warm and moist air hitting a cool surface is what cuases
condensation on the cool object. Cool air hitting a warm surface does NOT
give condensation.

Bull ****!

Sorry Han, To explain my response, and where I have witnessed your
second statement being not true "all of the time" is in Swingman's shop.

I understand how the condensation principal works.

BUT a few years ago Swingman and I were working in his shop, it had been
quite warm. We had a cold front blow in suddenly at the end of the day
and the temperature dropped quickly. "Heavy" Condensation formed on the
iron machine surfaces with in minutes, something we do not often see.

Why? I have no idea.

"Quite warm" was likely pretty humid too.
The cold front dropped the temp of the air which cooled the steel,
and the absolute humidity (mg of water per cubic meter, or oz per
cubic yard) stayed the same - raising the relative humidity - and the
dew point and surface temperature met.
The relative humidity of the cold air was likely 90+ %.
If you had simply cooled the metal quickly to the same temperature,
without changing the air temp, you would most likely also have
experienced the condensation or "sweating" of the metal.